Thursday, September 6, 2012

Well over the past two weeks I've had a pretty busy go of it. The brewery you see pictured above has been sold!! Made the deal while sitting on the beach! New owner took deliver of it on Friday. In doing that, I started buying stuff for the new brewery. This will be a 20g-1bbl brewery. I placed an order for a 42g stainless barrel, and a MT and HLT from www.brewershardware.com. Derrin has been fantastic to work with. Highly recommended. I also ordered some things for the control panel. This will be a 30 amp panel that will control a 5500w element in the boil kettle and the HLT. Also ordered a new saw to cut the steel. That's all for now! Pictures to follow!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brent,
    I've been meaning to drop you a line about how my first brew went on your old system. It went relatively smooth, besides my one bonehead mistake. I wasn't thinking when making a 5 gallon batch and measured out my usual amount of water, once I started the mash I realize only a 3rd of the herms coil was covered and had trouble keeping the temperature up for part of the mash. Despite this mistake I still hit target gravity.

    I did the boil on the electric and it boiled quicker than expected, next time I'll have to time it out of curiosity. The CB never tripped, even when my freezer cycled on during the boil. The clean-up was easier than expected, despite having the HERMS coil in there. The Plate Chiller worked well once I reined the flow in.

    Hopefully, I will get a chance to brew on this system again this weekend and I look forward to seeing how your new rig develops. Just remember I call first dibs when you go pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! So glad it worked out for you. Like I said, pretty well designed system. I really enjoyed building it and brewing with it.

    The new system is coming together nicely. Have most of the frame welded up, have to wait for more steel to finish. I will start working on the control panel tonight. I'll have progress pics on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, Can't wait to see. I also have a question that I just thought of. When you were brewing on this system, did you preheat the mash tun with hot water?

    ReplyDelete